Friday, January 06, 2006

A nation of cold-hearted mofos?


Myself and co-worker/friend Eyeder are eating lunch at a restaurant. There is a television turned to CNN...

Me:
Damn, that coal mine disaster is a trip, ain't it?

Eyder:
I guess. I don't get it.

Me: Don't get what?

Eyder: Why it's such a big deal.

Me: You don't think all those people dying is a big deal?

Eyder: Not really.

Me: What? All those people died.

Eyder: Yeah, I know. That's sad. For them. But I don't really care. How does it effect me?

Me: Well, directly, I guess not. But it's a major human drama. These are working class people.

Eyder: So? What does that have to do with me?

Me: Nothing directly, I guess. But, shit, don't you think it's sad that all those people died?

Eyder: But people die every day.

Me: The FUCK you talking about?

Eyder: I'm just saying, yeah, it's sad, but what does it have to do with me? I don't really care.

Me: You sound like another friend who didn't think the Space Shuttle crashing was a big deal.

Eyder: Oh THAT was a big deal.

Me: And this isn't?

Eyder: No.

Me: I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Eyder: I'm just tired of all the coverage of it.

Me: Oookaaay, what dat got to do with it?

Eyder: It didn't happen near Houston, so, why is this a national story?

Me: Uh, because so many people died at once? It's a human story.

Eyder: So?

Me: Never mind.

I mean, damn, everybody obviously got the right to their own shit, their own way of seeing things, but I just don't see how someone could look at things like the mine tragedy and not be moved. It's like looking at Katrina and the aftermath and not giving a damn. I actually know someone who didn't think that the space shuttle crash from a few years ago was a big deal.

Like I said, to each his own, but, shit, what happened to the gentleness and thoughtfullness that was supposed to return after 911? Is it just me, or are we becoming a nation of cold-hearted mofos?

5 comments:

*Madosi said...

i was just taught in one of my classes that people want to know how something effects them ... so i can understand both sides.

the person you were talking to did not feel effected by the situation, does not make them a bad person. their point of reference is just different, ya know?

As promised, new blog name, new look and even new profile pic … check it out: http://thisismemadosi.blogspot.com/

jameil1922 said...

oh i definitely knew that sweetness of 9/11 wouldn't last. cold-hearted people have always been around. they will probably never leave.

covering this was hard. i wanted to watch all those tvs at work instead of writing for our audience. but somebody had to do it. nearly everyday i hear something like that ignorance on someone's misery. i choose not to react unless they try to pass their ignorance on to the air. then i have to draw the line.

Drew said...

I mean, I wasn't trying to call out Eyder. He's a good guy. Just a little young, I think. I was mainly joking with him.

And, I can understand that people have different reactions to things, based on their frame of reference.

BUT, I still don't see how someone can look at the mine accident and be like, "so?".

But that's just me. I'm not judging anybody. Just trying to figure people out.

www.ShareTipsInfo.com Team said...

Dear Visitors,

This Blog is really nice and informative. We are pleased to know this
blog is really helping people. Its our pleasure to post informative
content on this useful blog created by webmaster.

As we all know
Indian
stock market
is guided by global market now days and most of the
investors are still trapped in market due to recent fall.

They were unaware about past correction. However still they are holding
lot many scripts in there portfolio and we feel they would like to
know the future prospect of those shares.

In order to facilitate all traders and investors we are coming up with
new stock market section in which all investors and traders will come
and post there queries, suggestions and we will post reply too and
moderate it aswell.

We feel it will give good information and boost to the sentiments of
investors and traders as they can extract relevant information from our
site.

One more good news we are also coming up with Live
href="http://sharetipsinfo.com" title="stock market commentary"> stock market
commentary
. You can stay online on the site for latest updates.
We assure you it will be very useful for everyone. As we will take care
of all investors and traders.



Please feel free to contact us for any query.


Have a Nice trading days ahead.



Regards


SHARETIPSINFO TEAM

9891655316
9899056796
9891890425


NOTE – Please note we have not posted this article for our promotional
purpose. We have posted it in this blog just to let people know that we
are here to guide them and they can get useful information on our
site. Which can answer there many queries.

Still if you feel we have offended your blogs policies then we are
sorry for it and inform us we will take care in future.

Anonymous said...

Car Insurance

Let Hunt4me take the stress out of searching for your car insurance and save you money. Compare quotations from major UK car insurance providers.