Thursday, April 12, 2007

Fired


So now he's a martyr. Don Imus has been fired by CBS. A lot of people have gotten what they wanted. Me included. But, to be honest, I've had a concern about this all week. I've been worried that firing him would, essentially, give even more fuel to the racist conservatives out there, many of whom hide behind the veneer of "free speech" when what they really want is "free hate." A case like Imuses only gives them more fuel and provides with with an even larger platform to rant on about their bs.

Imus is no martyr. What he said was racist. But now we're about to see an explosion of mofo's who jump on the conservative bandwagon, hooping and hollering about how this is yet another sign of the decline of "American" values.

1 comment:

James Burnett said...

Yo bro. I won't be on any conservative bandwagons, but I still don't think he should have gotten fired. Imus is a damned fool. And maybe he should have been donkey kicked in the brain. But I get squeamish when we start silencing people for being racist dumbasses. If the racist dumbasses ever take control - as if they haven't already ;-) - I don't want them deciding one day they don't like what I have to say and taking me out of print.

I actually only found two things distasteful about the protests against Imus: Jackson and Sharpton (mostly Jackson).