Friday, November 25, 2005

I breathe, therefore I explain

Why do I feel like I'm always explaining myself to people? To take it deep: why do I always feel like I'm explaining myself to white people?

At the end of the day, don't they owe an explanation to me? What's the counter-argument to this? "But Drew, we always have to explain ourselves to you, just as you explain yourself to us."

Please.

Know what trips me out the most? People who look at you like you crazy if you don't explain yourself to death. About everything!!!!!

Do I really need to explain to you that my parents are - yes - still married? And have been for more than 30 years? Why is that so surprising? Why are you so stunned that I actually went to college? And that my brother and sisters didn't go? Does that make me the good negro of the bunch?

Kill the antropology experiment. Quit trying to understand why we do the things we do. (You don't give a damn, anyway).

Obviously, not all white people are alike. Thank gawd. I've met some seriously cool white folks who, at the end of the day, are my best friends. (But, what's funny is, those same white folks agree with me about their own people!).

Yeah, ok. Look. I have no problem being all cool and shit, and I have no problem explaining myself to people who really, truly have an interest in figuring out what I'm about. If they're truly interested.

Ok rant over.
(Next blog: clueless-ass black folks)

No comments: