Friday, November 25, 2005
$200 laptops and Walmart stampedes
Random thoughts about shopping madness........
* Suddenly, we don't know how to act when we go to the store. Since when is it cool to just trample all over people? Have yall been watching all the tv coverage of the Walmart tramplings? There were major incidents in Grand Rapids and Orlando. The photo above is from Orlando. Apparently, one guy cut in front of another guy in line and...well...you know how we do. All hell broke loose.
* Here's my thing: they went through all that for a $200 laptop? First of all, what laptop cost $200? And even if there is one, it's probably a piece of crap. Last year there were massive tramplings over $100 tv's. Helllo, people. You get what you pay for. There is no reason to trample human beings over a cheap piece of junk.
* Since when did "the shopping day after Thanksgiving" morph into "Black Friday"? That's what everybody is calling it now. I understand that it's supposed to mean that it's a day when stores make money, and are therefore "in the black," but, well, it just makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.
* It's funny how people fight to the death when they go shopping, but don't bother to vote.
* One of the images from the Grand Rapids stampede was hilarious, though. One woman hit the ground, then her wig fell off. She laid there, calmly put her wig back on, jumped up and went running off. I wonder if she realize that's being played all over the country? Can you imagine your weave falling off and having everybody and their mamma see it?